If you have to hurt other people to feel powerful, you are an extremely weak individual. – Bobby Mattingly
Welcome to “Thursday Numbers!” In case you’re a first-time visitor, this is the weekly column where I take a look at the numbers that are in the news (in descending order) and provide commentary sometimes sprinkled with sarcasm and humor.
This week’s topics include Trump fundraising, unemployment, Sturgis super spreader, USA coronavirus deaths, Afghanistan & Iraq troop cuts, 2020 Census, Trump’s disapproval rating, Bob Woodward’s new book, NFL Kickoff 2020 – Texans vs Chiefs, VP coming to Montana, and much more!
The Trump campaign and Republican National Committee raked in $210 million in August, an impressive haul that marks their biggest month to date – though still short of the record-smashing amount Democratic nominee Joe Biden and the Democrats brought in during the same time period. (Fox News)
The Biden campaign and Democratic National Committee announced last week that they had brought in an unprecedented $364.5 million in August.
In the week ending September 5, the advance figure for seasonally adjusted initial unemployment claims was 884,000, unchanged from the previous week’s revised level. The previous week’s level was revised up by 3,000 from 881,000 to 884,000. The 4-week moving average was 970,750, a decrease of 21,750 from the previous week’s revised average. The previous week’s average was revised up by 750 from 991,750 to 992,500. (DOL)
A new study from IZA Institute of Labor Economics that analyzed cellphone pings for Sturgis Motorcycle rally attendees and the COVID-19 case numbers in the communities they returned to estimates that more than 265,000 infections confirmed between Aug. 2 and Sept. 2 trace back to the massive gathering of motorcycle enthusiasts in South Dakota. The study also concluded that the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally generated substantial public health costs of at least $12.2 billion. (NY Daily News)
Way to go South Dakota – you super spreaders!
That’s how many people have died in the United States from coronavirus, according to the latest data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. There are at least 190,885 deaths and 6,363,300 cases across the country so far. The first death in the US was reported on February 29. (John Hopkins)
Last Thursday there were 185,752 deaths.
3,000 & 4,500
After supposedly calling U.S. Troops “losers” and “suckers,” President Trump plans to cut the troop presence in Iraq from 5,200 to 3,000 by the end of September. In Afghanistan, the U.S. military presence would decrease from 8,600 to 4,500 by late October. (Politico)
It’s election time!
That’s Montana’s overall response rate for the 2020 Census. The self-response was 58.8%. The non-response follow-up enumerated 21.9% for a total of 80.7% enumerated. (Census)
Fill out your Census forms, people!
That is President Donald Trump’s disapproval rating. His approval rating is just 42.6%. (FiveThirtyEight)
Last week his disapproval rating was 52.4%.
That’s the price of Bob Woodward’s new book “Rage” which the publisher claims will be the foundational account of the Trump presidency, its turmoil, contradictions, and risks. It is an essential document for any voter seeking an accurate inside view of the Trump years—volatile and vivid. (Simon & Schuster)
The Kindle edition is $14.99.
The NFL Kickoff 2020 game is tonight featuring my Super Bowl champion Kansas City Chiefs hosting the Houston Texans. NBC has the coverage. The game starts at 6:20 Mountain time.
Defending Super Bowl champions are 12–3 in the Kickoff Game. Go Chiefs!
The tickets for Vice President Mike Pence’s visit to Montana to campaign for Senator Steve Daines, Congressman Greg Gianforte, and Congressional Candidate Matt Rosendale are free. The event will be held at “The Big Yellow Barn” in Belgrade on Monday, September 14, 2020, from 2:00-4:00 PM. (MTGOP Press Release)
The Associated Press is reporting that Vice President Mike Pence and top officials from President Donald Trump’s campaign are slated to attend a Montana fundraiser next week hosted by a couple who have expressed support for the QAnon conspiracy theory, according to an event invitation obtained by The Associated Press and a review of social media postings.
If that is true, the publicity is making Montanans look ignorant.