Thursday Numbers

Hey Kids, Back in my day there was so much toilet paper, that people would take it and string it in the trees of their enemies. – Unknown

Welcome to “Thursday Numbers!” In case you’re a first-time visitor, this is the weekly column where I take a look at the numbers that are in the news (in descending order) and provide commentary sometimes sprinkled with sarcasm and humor.

This week’s topics include the federal budget deficit, Biden fundraising, unemployment claims, USA deaths from coronavirus, overdue library book, Chiefs Super Bowl ring, 2020 Census, Trump’s disapproval rating, voter fraud charges, lost support, and much more!


The federal budget deficit is projected to hit a record $3.3 trillion as huge government expenditures to fight the coronavirus and to prop up the economy have added more than $2 trillion to the federal ledger, the Congressional Budget Office said. (AP)

We’ll print more…


Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden raised $364 million in August, a record sum that will give him ample resources to compete in the final two months of the campaign against President Donald Trump. (AP)



In the week ending August 29, the advance figure for seasonally adjusted initial unemployment claims was 881,000, a decrease of 130,000 from the previous week’s revised level. The previous week’s level was revised up by 5,000 from 1,006,000 to 1,011,000. The 4-week moving average was 991,750, a decrease of 77,500 from the previous week’s revised average. The previous week’s average was revised up by 1,250 from 1,068,000 to 1,069,250. (DOL)


That’s how many people have died in the United States from coronavirus, according to the latest data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. There are at least 179,743 deaths and 6,115,098 cases across the country so far. The first death in the US was reported on February 29. (John Hopkins)

Last Thursday there were 179,743 deaths.


The Guinness World record for the most overdue library book is held by Robert Walpole of England, who borrowed a German biography book about the Archbishop of Bremen from the Sidney Sussex College in 1668. The book was returned 288 years later (1956) and it has been reported that no fine was taken on the return of the book to the library. (Source)

Read a book!


The Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl rings feature 10 ½ carats of gemstones, including 255 diamonds and 36 genuine rubies. (KMBC)

The World Champion Chiefs open the NFL season next Thursday night!!!


That’s Montana’s overall response rate for the 2020 Census. The self-response was 58.3%. The non-response follow-up enumerated 17.5% for a total of 75.8% enumerated. (Census)

September 30 is the deadline – fill out your Census forms, people!


That is President Donald Trump’s disapproval rating. His approval rating is just 43.4%. (FiveThirtyEight)

Last week his disapproval rating was 54.3%.


Federal prosecutors in North Carolina announced voter fraud charges Wednesday against 19 non-citizens accused of illegally casting a ballot in 2016. (AP)

Looks like they were caught and the system worked!


Donald Trump has lost support from about 9% of voters who backed him in 2016, a new poll finds. (LA Times)

I see the race tightening.

## VOTE ##