Thursday Numbers

Your opinion is your opinion, your perception is your perception–do not confuse them with “facts” or “truth.” – John Moore

Welcome to “Thursday Numbers!” In case you’re a first-time visitor, this is the weekly column where I take a look at the numbers that are in the news (in descending order) and provide commentary sometimes sprinkled with sarcasm and humor.

This week’s topics include federal spending, first presidential debate, unemployment claims, USA coronavirus deaths, Patrick Mahomes, 2020 Census, Trump’s disapproval rating, Trump & coronavirus vaccines, Amy Coney Barrett, and much more!


The federal government’s fiscal 2020 year ends today (Sept. 30) at midnight and federal spending has eclipsed $6 trillion ($6.1 trillion) for the first time ever—and that’s without data from September, the final month federal officials can obligate annual Congressionally-appropriated funds before they expire. (



An estimated 73.1 million people watched the first presidential debate of 2020, a huge audience but still short of the blockbuster audience for the initial matchup four years ago. The numbers are from Nielsen and include 16 networks. In 2016, the first debate between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton drew 84 million. (

Who won the debate? Click HERE to take the poll.


In the week ending September 26, the advance figure for seasonally adjusted initial unemployment claims was 837,000, a decrease of 36,000 from the previous week’s revised level. The previous week’s level was revised up by 3,000 from 870,000 to
873,000. The 4-week moving average was 867,250, a decrease of 11,750 from the previous week’s revised average. The previous week’s average was revised up by 750 from 878,250 to 879,000. (DOL)


That is how many people have died in the United States from coronavirus, according to the latest data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. There are at least 206,963 deaths and 7,234,257 cases across the country so far. The first death in the US was reported on February 29. (John Hopkins)

Last Thursday, there were 201,920 deaths.


Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes became the fastest player to collect 10,000 career passing yards in Monday night’s game against the Baltimore Ravens. (ESPN)

There will be several more records that will fall to Patrick…


That is Montana’s overall response rate for the 2020 Census. The self-response was 60.0%. The non-response follow-up enumerated 36.0% for a total of 96.0% enumerated. (Census)

Fill out your Census forms, people!


That is President Donald Trump’s disapproval rating according to the FiveThirtyEight blog. His approval rating is just 43.7%. (FiveThirtyEight)

Last week Trump’s disapproval rating was 53.2%.


In a new poll from Axios-Ipsos, only 19% of Americans said they were very likely or somewhat likely to get the coronavirus vaccine if President Trump says it is safe. (DailyMail)

In another poll I saw, only1% of Americans said they would leave their wife/girlfriend/daughter alone with Donald J. Trump. That last line was a joke.


Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett said in a Senate Judiciary Committee questionnaire that President Trump offered her the nomination to the seat vacated by the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Monday, Sept. 21, which is just three days after Ginsburg died and nearly a full week before Trump officially announced the nomination. (

This is not a surprise; Trump only cares about himself.


The first NFL game has been postponed due to COVID-19. Sunday’s game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Tennessee Titans has been postponed to either Monday or Tuesday. The Titans have four players and five staff testing positive. (ESPN)

I hope this is the only game postponed.

## VOTE ##

2 thoughts on “Thursday Numbers

Comments are closed.