Thursday Numbers

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. ― John Muir

Welcome to “Thursday Numbers!” In case you’re a first-time visitor, this is the weekly column where I take a look at the numbers that are in the news (in descending order) and provide commentary sometimes sprinkled with sarcasm, humor, and bluntness.

This week’s topics include Drugmaker GlaxoSmithKline, Parkland gunman Nikolas Cruz, unemployment, Boy Scouts, National Hockey League, NFL Draft, Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders, Donald Trump, Texas execution, Presidential candidates, Biden vs Trump poll, and much, much more!

100,000,000

Drugmaker GlaxoSmithKline has announced $100 million of new investment in its manufacturing site in Montana. British-based GSK said in a statement released Wednesday that it will expand the production capacity at its Hamilton facility, where it produces components used in several of vaccines, including ones to help prevent malaria and shingles. (AP)

Good for Hamilton, Montana!

430,000

Parkland gunman Nikolas Cruz is about to come into more than $430,000 and should get new lawyers, the Broward County Public Defender’s Office said in a court filing on Wednesday. The money is half of a life insurance inheritance worth $864,929.17. In its motion to withdraw from the case, the public defenders’ office said it is prohibited from representing a non-indigent person. The money comes from the estate of Cruz’s adoptive mother, who died in November 2017. (CNN)

Sounds about right to me…

230,000

That’s how many people filed new claims for unemployment last week. (USDOL)

12,254

An expert who has been working with the Boy Scouts revealed that there may have been as many as 7,819 allegedly sexually abusive troop leaders and volunteers in the storied organization, according to newly released court documents. More than 7,800 individuals allegedly abused 12,254 victims, according to the court testimony. (ABC News)

This is sickening.

1967

The Washington Capitals’ double-overtime loss to the Carolina Hurricanes means that, for the first time since the 1967 NHL expansion, no division champion won a playoff series. The Capitals, Tampa Bay Lightning, Nashville Predators, and Calgary Flames were all eliminated in the first round. This is also the first time since 2012 where both Stanley Cup finalists from the previous season failed to win a playoff series. (ESPN)

Game seven between the Capitals/Hurricanes was a great one.

254

That’s how many picks will be made during the 2019 NFL Draft which starts this evening (Thursday) in Nashville, Tennessee. (CBS Sports)

Once again, I don’t think I will be drafted but you never know…

76

That’s the age of former Vice President Joe Biden. (Wiki) U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders is 77. (Wiki) President Donald Trump is 72 years old. (Wiki)

Seventy is the new sixty, right?

41.6

President Donald Trump’s job approval ratings during his ninth quarter were among the best in his presidency to date. His 41.6% average approval rating between Jan. 20 and April 19 is more than two percentage points better than his average in the prior quarter, and nearly matches his personal best 41.9% average from his sixth quarter in office. (Gallup)

I don’t think Trump can win if he isn’t getting close to a 50% approval rating.

21

An avowed racist who orchestrated one of the most gruesome hate crimes in U.S. history was executed Wednesday in Texas for the dragging death of a black man, John William King, who was white, received a lethal injection for the slaying nearly 21 years ago of James Byrd Jr., who was chained to the back of a truck and dragged for nearly 3 miles (5 kilometers) along a secluded road in the piney woods outside Jasper, Texas. (AP)

20

As of Thursday morning, that’s how many Democrats are running for President in 2020. If Joe Biden enters the race as expected today, that will make 21. (Ballotpedia)

There are two Republicans: Donald Trump and Bill Weld.

8

A new Morning Consult/Politico poll conducted April 19-21 among 1,992 registered voters found former Vice President Joe Biden leading President Donald Trump by 8 percentage points in a hypothetical matchup, 42 percent to 34 percent. Biden has a significant edge over Trump among women (17 points), millennials (22 points), and independents (10 points). (Morning Consult)

In Presidential races, I look more at individual state polls because of the Electoral College.

 

##END##

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Thursday Numbers

  1. 8: One thing the poll doesn’t consider is the fact that was bore out in 2016, Independent Trump supporters do not participate in polls and are not outspoken about him. So polling data doesn’t equate to validity. Remember, less than two weeks before the election, Hillary had a 93% chance of winning and Trump was only 7%. Every political expert in the media had Hillary as the next POTUS…just saying!

Comments are closed.