The Wednesday Read: School Levy, Gianforte, Zinke, & VP Debate

We are all born mad. Some remain so. – Samuel Beckett

Today these items caught my attention:

  • GF School Levy Vote
  • Zinke’s Montana Home
  • Gianforte’s Money
  • Analysis of VP Debate

GF School Levy Vote:

Way to go Great Falls! Yesterday the $99 million school bond levies were easily passed by voters. If my math is correct, the elementary levy passed 62% – 38% and the high school levy passed 58% – 42%. The vote will be final next Tuesday.

Superintendent Tammy Lacey, the school board, along with the Yes For Great Fall Kids group did a phenomenal job in getting the word out about the need for repairing and replacing schools. They did presentations, offered tours of the schools, wrote opinion pieces for the paper, and there were many letters to the editor in support of the levies.

This campaign was perfectly run and the results showed it.

Zinke’s Montana Home:

Over at the Intelligent Discontent blog, Don Pogreba makes a compelling argument about Montana’s lone congressman, Ryan Zinke, not actually living in Montana. Pogreba shows a fundraising invite says Zinke and his wife hosted a fundraiser at their home in Santa Barbara, California. Pogreba went into detail with several pieces of evidence.

It was a pretty good column, but it does not really matter.

This reminds me of the time when Max Baucus called Washington, D.C. home instead of Montana. It was reported that Baucus did not own a home in Montana for 11 years. Baucus did end up owning half of his mother’s home toward the end of his career – probably to save face. I don’t know if he now owns the home with his latest wife (I think he is on wife #3).

Maybe during the debate tonight in Great Falls, someone will ask Zinke to explain this.

Gianforte’s Money:

About 98% of Montanans were probably saying “holy crap” after they learned that Greg Gianforte has thrown about $3.2 million of his own money into his campaign. The other 2% are either his campaign employees or they are also very rich.

I was daydreaming the other day after reading about Gianforte’s most recent deposit and thinking what it would be like to receive a half million dollar investment to support my work here as an independent blogger in Montana. Damn! By the way, my “Donate” button on the right side of the homepage still works, Mr. Gianforte.

Analysis of VP Debate:

Last night was the first and only debate between vice presidential candidates Tim Kaine (D) and Mike Pence (R).

I thought Kaine came out too aggressive. Maybe he knocked back a few too many Red Bulls before the debate?

I don’t think they even got through the second question before they started interrupting each other. People are tired of that. Maybe they should build two clear soundproof booths for the candidates to sit in during the debate and shut off their microphones when they go over their time limit.

Moderator Elaine Quijano did an OK job of keeping the candidates in line. We kept hearing her say “Gentlemen Please” throughout the evening.

I tweeted toward the end of the debate that the GOP is probably wondering if they can somehow sub Pence for Trump in the two remaining debates with Clinton.

Pence’s biggest mistake is when he said to Kaine, “Senator, you whipped out that Mexican thing again.” Twitter went wild.

Overall I think Pence won the debate. Take the poll here at The Western Word. I will post the results Thursday.

Check out the Associated Press fact check of the debate HERE and the USA Today fact check HERE

## END ##

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “The Wednesday Read: School Levy, Gianforte, Zinke, & VP Debate

  1. I think Pence did a good job of positioning himself for when he challenges Hillary’s re-election bid in 2020.

    • Doug – Funny how he just kind of jumped to the head of the line, huh? Thanks, JmB

  2. Awesome news about the school mill levies. I went to Longfellow Elementary, Paris Gibson Junior High, East Junior High and Great Falls High. I still have fond memories of all but a little TLC never hurts and I guess in the case of Longfellow, a lot. It is great to see people supporting education, buildings and teachers need all the support they can get.

    • Kathy – Yes, it was nice to see the support – overwhelming support from the voters. -JmB

Comments are closed.